Horseshoe Falls

Horseshoe Falls is one of the most beautiful natural wonders in North America. As the largest of the three waterfalls that make up Niagara Falls, it is a truly breathtaking sight, with a height of 167 feet (51 meters) and a width of 2,700 feet (820 meters).

Located on the Niagara River along the Canada-United States border, Horseshoe Falls is situated between Terrapin Point on Goat Island in the US state of New York, and Table Rock in the Canadian province of Ontario. Approximately 90% of the Niagara River, after diversions for hydropower generation, flows over Horseshoe Falls, with the remaining 10% flowing over American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls.

The history of Horseshoe Falls is closely tied to the international border between Canada and the United States. In 1819, the boundary line between the two countries was determined based on the Treaty of Ghent, with the northeastern end of the Horseshoe Falls located in New York, United States. The area between the Terrapin Rocks and Goat Island was filled in to create Terrapin Point in 1955, and in the early 1980s, the United States Army Corps of Engineers filled in more land and built diversion dams and retaining walls to force the water away from Terrapin Point. As a result, 400 feet (120 meters) of the Horseshoe Falls was eliminated.

Despite this, the falls continue to move in relation to the boundary line due to erosion, and the official national maps for both Canada and the United States indicate that a small portion of the Horseshoe Falls is located within the United States.

Its iconic shape, powerful flow, and beautiful scenery make it one of the most breathtaking sights in North America. Visitors can take a boat tour to get a closer look at the falls or take a helicopter ride for an aerial view of this magnificent natural wonder. Whether you’re a local or a tourist, a trip to Horseshoe Falls is an experience you will never forget.